Florida man dies after e-cigarette explodes

Share

The medical examiner says D'Elia's cause of death was listed as "projectile wound of head".

The explosion sent two pieces of the vape pen into his cranium, the report of the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner said.

The television producer's death has been ruled an accident. The report also said that the 38-year-old suffered "thermal injuries", or burns, to roughly 80% of his body.

Smok-E Mountain makes a particular type of e-cigarette called a mechanical mod.

For example, in 2015, an e-cigarette exploded in a man's face in Naples, Florida, burning his face, chest, hands and lungs. He suffered burns to most of his body, but authorities don't believe the fire was what caused his death.

A fire in January this year at Denver International Airport was blamed on a vape pen's lithium ion battery.

Xbox Adaptive Controller will be launching this year for $99.99
The controller works on PC, and Xbox One , and players can remap the various functions using the Xbox Accessories App. We worked closely with them and directly with gamers who have limited mobility to assist in our development.

An autopsy report said that a fragment penetrated his skull and became lodged in his brain.

This is the first reported USA death from a malfunctioning e-cigarette - and it is not surprising news.

Some 133 injuries - 38 of which severe - have been caused by exploding e-cigarettes in the past, the Associated Press reported, citing US Fire Administration statistics. The agency and the CDC recommend using vape pens with safety features, including those created to prevent battery overheating, and keeping batteries away from metal objects like coins and keys.

"No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to the human body".

E-cigarettes that are similar in size and shape to traditional cigarettes come with a smaller wattage unit and therefore may not have the power to fail as dramatically, said Thomas Kiklas, chief financial officer of the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association. Instead, they sell vape pens with a computer chip inside, which keeps the device from overheating.

A Smok-E Mountain representative told ABC affiliate WFTS that it was likely an issue with the product's atomizer or battery, rather than the device itself.

Share