Gun battle between security forces & militants in Afghanistan

Share

Militants detonated bombs and stormed a government building in eastern Afghanistan, leaving at least six civilians dead, officials said.

Attahullah Khogyani, the spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province, said a suicide auto bomb exploded outside the building, which belongs to the provincial finance directorate.

He said security forces killed six of the attackers after two of them carried out suicide attacks near the building's entrance.

Attahullah Khogyani, spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province, said eight civilians, including three finance department employees, were killed in the auto bomb attack.

The attack began when one attacker blew himself up at the gate of the building in the centre of the city, allowing the gunmen to enter, Sohrab Qaderi, a member of the provincial council, told Reuters.

Mother's Day has endured test of time
Her daughter sought to honor her mother's lifelong activism by urging national leaders to create a day memorializing mothers. Sometimes though, life takes us in a different direction, and we might find ourselves away from our moms over Mother's Day .

ISIS has claimed responsibility for an attack on a government building in Afghanistan on Sunday, the group's Amaq news agency said without providing any evidence.

Security forces have cordoned off the area for precautionary measures. More explosions were then heard coming from inside the building.

The Taliban and IS have made clear their intention of disrupting the elections.

Nine journalists, including AFP's chief photographer in Kabul Shah Marai, were among 25 people killed in a double suicide blast claimed by IS in the capital on April 30.

Violence has escalated across Afghanistan since the announcement of the Taliban's annual spring offensive last month and there have been heightened security fears around preparations for elections in October.

Share