Surfers fearful of re-entering the water


A series of shark attacks off Australia's west coast have struck fear in the hearts of some of the world's top surfers, with at least two pro competitors voicing their concerns about getting back in the water.

The man, who was bitten on the leg, and taken to Royal Perth Hospital where he is in stable condition, CNN reported. Joint world champion Italo Ferreira said on Instagram: "Life is worth more!"

The WSL did put the contest on hold for Tuesday as they are reassessing the situation and utilizing all the safety protocols at their disposal.

"Surfing is a sport that carries various forms of risk, and is unique in that wild animals inhabit our performance environment", Goldschmidt said. Everyone associated with our sport knows that.

WSL organisers say there is a chance the remainder of the event may be run later this year at a yet-to-be decided location.

"However, the threshold has been crossed for the organisation and if we made a decision to continue the event under the current circumstances, and (if) something bad were to take place, we would never forgive ourselves".

Supreme Court raises concerns over use of data analytics to influence elections
He added that Aadhaar ensures that real beneficiaries are not deprived of benefits and frauds are kept at bay. Diwedi said it is not that human beings are numbered but every individual is identified by means of a number.

World Surfing League CEO Sophie Goldschmidt further clarified that the presence of beached whales, a source of attraction for sharks, added to the "exceptional circumstances".

"We wanted to reconvene and make sure we had everything possible in the water to look after those surfers", Miley-Dyer said in a statement on the league's website.

"If we chose to continue the event under the current circumstances, and something awful were to take place, we would never forgive ourselves".

The first incident occurred at Cobblestones beach in Gracetown on Monday, when 37 year old Alejandro Travaglini was mauled by a shark with the attack requiring him to undergo emergency surgery on both legs.

"We appreciate that not everyone will agree with this decision, but hope that they will respect it. Athlete safety will always be our absolute priority and we thank the local community, our partners and our surfers for supporting the decision".

Slater later denied the close call, saying the silvery object was likely the reflection of another surfer. John John Florence found two via drone in the days leading up to the event. The second suffered minor injuries.