Archbishop Charles Scicluna undergoes gallbladder surgery in Chile

Share

20 de febrero de 2018, 18:04Santiago de Chile, Feb 20 (Prensa Latina) Monsignor Charles Scicluna, archbishop of Malta, thanked the Chilean ecclesiastic authorities today for facilitating his work and promised comprehensiveness and meticulousness in the investigations.

- Archbishop Charles Scicluna of Malta, who is now in Chile investigating allegations of abuse cover-up by a local bishop, was hospitalized Wednesday and underwent gallbladder surgery, though he is expected to make a full recovery.

Bishop Barros has denied knowing of the abuse. Jaime Coiro, spokesman for the institution, said the attorney of the Vatican would welcome those who made contact voluntarily and those who were called to talk about the case. He is expected to recover in the coming days.

The group's spokesman, Isaac Givovich, has requested a meeting with Archbishop Charles Scicluna, a Vatican envoy who travelled to Santiago to meet with witnesses accusing a bishop of covering up the sexual abuse of minors by a priest.

Prior to his hospitalization, Scicluna met with victims of sexual abuse by the Rev. Fernando Karadima, who was convicted in 2011.

Intel partners with Microsoft, Dell, HP, and Lenovo to make 5G laptops
In November 2017, Intel announced substantial advances in its wireless product roadmap to accelerate the adoption of 5G. Still, the idea of tapping into a super speedy connection from your laptop while in a cab or on a train is tantalizing.

Controversy over the 61-year-old Barros marred Pope Francis' trip to Chile last month, when he hugged and defended the bishop.

Deacon Coiro said that Archbishop Scicluna intends to resume interviewing victims personally as soon as possible.

Jose Andres Murillo, one of the three victims who have spoken publicly of abuse of Karadima and have accused Barros of a cover-up, came Wednesday to meet the investigators.

He had given the letter to four members of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors, who in turn handed it to the head of the commission Cardinal Sean O'Malley of Boston, who was to deliver it to the Pope. In turn, another priest traveling with two has been asked to act as notary.

Share